Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Project Life Journaling tips

Welcome to the Blog today!
Here is my table set up for my Project Life stage of my creating this month.  I am a little behind, so I am trying to get as much done with my supplies this month as I can.


So with this in mind, I am sharing a few tips I find useful doing Project Life, especially when you are behind, and you are trying to get the very most out of your kits!

I love journaling.  I love words.  I love telling the story.  Project Life Style recording is perfect for story telling and in a format that reads a little like a family journal or Diary of sorts.  It records our stories of our life in pictures and in words.  It is sometimes a challenge however, finding the places to write in the limited spaces left, after we add photos.  Journal cards, blocks, stamps and labels are great for this.  I find you can never have enough and it is often necessary for me to make my own to match the papers I am using in the kits.

Often times when you are using Patterned Paper, the pattern is just too busy to add your journaling to, so you need something to adhere on top that matches, while still keeping with the cohesive embellishing in each cards design.  Not always an easy thing to do.  But I have some Ideas!





Cut a strip of Patterned paper and staple it to the top of one of your cut out labels.  Add pen lines and your journaling.

Swipe a matching paint colour onto your paper and use that as a journaling strip....This makes a 'stage' for your words.

Here are some other ideas pictured below.


Simple white on top of patterned paper (described above.)



The arrow journaling bars, very effective and points to the focal point of your journaling.....  Really cool!


One of my most favourites is strip journaling.  Just love it as a design element of my cards too!


Rounded corner labels layered and stapled.  And journaling around a frame.  
Great way to fit the story in places it might not normally fit.


Rounded corners and edged with washi tape, then stapled.  Faux pen lines to finish off....Really sweet!


The flag.  Can be any size any width, to fit your space.


Cutting a strip with freehand scallops and adhering right below or above the photo.  Journal right onto it.  


Patterned paper cut a little taller than your white journaling strip.  Layer together.   
Add staples for more interest.


Journal directly to card design, following border of image or shape.  Great way to journal on there, without greatly impacting the image or the card design.  It blends right in.


Flag with washi tape again, just larger.  

Other ideas......

Journal directly onto dead space on your photo.  Just use a pen for slick surfaces in either white or black

Journal around the border of your Photo

Journal around the entire perimeter of your card.

Die cut blank shapes and use them as journaling cards.

Journal within a pattern of your Cards.  ie look for zig zags, or lines on your paper.

adhere a flap to the top of your journaling card and use the flap as hidden, interactive journaling.

hunt up your journaling stamps in your stamp stash and use them with ink colours to match your spread


I am sure there are many many more ideas, but these are just some I used to complete the spreads using this months kit.  So that's me for the day!  Hope this sparked some ideas for journaling on your next spread!



Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment